Thursday, September 29, 2005

Money

Whoever said "money is the root of all evil" was SO stinkin' right! Oh yeah, it's in the BIBLE!! Boy, that Paul, he was inspired . . . (wink, wink)

He actually said:

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. 1 Timothy 6:10 (NIV)

I guess we have to get over the "love" -- it's the human element that ruins it. Kinda like guns don't kill people, people kill people. However, on that one, I think if there were fewer guns available . . .

I'm in a weird place. It's been sort of a stressful week. We're in the middle of trying to buy a car and that's cool but I'm worried about whether it's the right decision. We currently have a Ford Expedition which was an awesome deal when we bought it but now it's just sucking gas like it's oxygen and, well, we can't really afford to KEEP it. We've been sort of test driving a Volvo S80 for a couple days. It's wonderful and we love it but our kids are used to the Expedition... blah, blah, blah. And last night, Mary mentioned that they're having a class ring information meeting this week. . . oy! (Oh yeah, Monday or Tuesday was picture day at the High School . . .Mary's LAST picture day as she's a Junior. She's killin' me!)

Meanwhile, my friend, Susan, and her husband have been through a MAJOR crisis over the last several MONTHS. He's not well because he's experienced a series of strokes and they live out in the back country far from any kind of help (medical or otherwise). . . it's sobering and humbling to think about what she's been through. My other friend has family issues involving her son and I am so grateful we don't have to deal with that . . . God knows I'm not equipped. I feel helpless in the face of these situations and that sort of spills over into my own issues.

So today I'm reminding myself to be grateful. To remember when I feel disgruntled that I could be living out of a paper bag filled with stuff someone I don't know donated to the Red Cross. To remember when my kids complain about something they feel is unfair that the only way THEY will learn gratitude is from me -- am I showing it?

Life's not so bad and God is good, so I'm gonna be okay.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

waking up each is the day to be gratful.....and I know you do that, so don't be so hard on youself.....it's all gooood !!

Why You Shouldn’t Visit That New Mom and Her Baby

Close your eyes and think about the last time you visited a brand new mom, either in the hospital or at home.  Did you call first? If you d...