Thursday, August 25, 2005

Working Out and other thoughts

Well, I am trying to get back into the Work Out routine. You know, get up at an ungodly hour, shrug into either some spandex or a bathing suit, drive to the Y, sweat or swim, go home and shower and move (slowly, because my muscles ache from disuse) through the rest of the day.

I lost a bunch of weight a couple of summers ago. I looked great. But I got cocky and fell off the weightwatchers points wagon AND stopped exercising. Talk about stupid. One day I got on the scale and went "Yoiks!" Plus, my clothes don't fit anymore. I got rid of my "fat clothes" because I was sure I wouldn't need them anymore . . .

So, here I am, trying to get back on the wagon. It's not easy. I'm back to counting points and trying to do some sort of exercise every weekday. I may go to MTW (skip Thursday) F. I didn't swim this morning and I meant to . . .but I did the weight machines yesterday morning and every muscle is screaming!

Wish me luck.

Next subject.

We can't really afford a new car but we really need one. We are going to buy my aunt and uncle's used (very -- it's a '95) Dodge Neon. After swearing we'd never buy a domestic vehicle again. Beggars can't be choosers. And, boy, are we beggars. We couldn't buy a toothpick on credit. I'd really like to get Tim a motorcycle but he drives the kids to school . . .

However, I LONG for a Prius. You know, the hybrid from Toyota that has a waiting list? I've driven one and they are great. Seemless movement from electric to gas motor. Also, when you are stopped at a light or anything, the gas motor isn't engaged so there's no noise. . . you think the car is dead . . . then you step on the accelerator and you're moving! It's an awesome car. I'm hoping that next year . . .

And speaking of cars. I am SO tired of the US's dependence on oil! I've been listening to NPR's story about the Nigerian oil fields. It's so awful. A crime really. And don't get me started about our own, not-so-little war for oil. . .

Can we do anything about it? We can start by buying Priuses. . .

No comments:

Why You Shouldn’t Visit That New Mom and Her Baby

Close your eyes and think about the last time you visited a brand new mom, either in the hospital or at home.  Did you call first? If you d...