Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Noah's Prayer and other cool stuff about my kids

I'm about to describe a moment in my son's life that I'll want to remember because there won't be that many of them soon. . .he's 11 years old and not getting MORE sweet and innocent.

So, it was bedtime and I took a moment to lay down with Noah and listen to him talk about his day. I used to hold him in my arms when we did this but he's almost as tall as I am now and a bit too old for that. ..

In any event, he went on to tell me about three boys he goes to school with:

1) Dave, who fell asleep in Science class and didn't get in trouble for it even though the teacher looked right at him and he has a history with all the teachers of disruptive behavior. A boy in the same class "spoke out" to give an answer and DID get in trouble, ending up in the hallway for the remainder of the class. Noah's sense of justice was clearly tweaked.

2) Gabe, who is autistic and is disruptive but, apparently, brilliant, is being moved to Noah's Science class because they are apparently the best "role models" for Gabe. Noah has seen kids make fun of Gabe because of his in appropriate outbursts. I asked Noah if he ever said anything to them and he shrugged but seemed to internalize it.

3) Brandon. His mom was dying. Today we found out that she died.

I got all of this in a burst of fervent conversation. I got up to leave and he said he was going to pray. I asked if he wanted me to stay and he said I could. . .and here was the moment.

Noah prayed for Dave -- that his behavior would improve. For Gabe, that kids wouldn't make fun of him. And for Brandon's mom -- that she would get better but if she did die, that it wouldn't be painful.

I prayed for Noah, that he would be brave enough to be a role model to his friends.

And then tonight, Mary spoke to our GROW (Get Revived on Wednesday) class. We weren't there. . .but she was giving a testimony about an episode at camp over the summer when she definitely encountered some spiritual warfare.

I got the coolest note from the teacher/facilitator, Corey Nelson (www.cantankerouschristian.com) saying what a good job she did.

And Sara. . . well, she's committed. When she makes a promise, she keeps it. She helps with 2nd and 3rd grade at GROW and tonight was difficult. But she went.

I'm so proud of my children. They have their moments but today I'm extremely proud. And at the same time, humbled. They are great kids. . . and Tim and I have worked hard to be the best parents we can be but we were very young when we started and so we can't take all the credit. God has blessed us.

And for that I thank Him.

2 comments:

Corey Nelson said...

You've certainly got three wonderful and incredible kids. One needn't be around them long for that to be patently obvious...also obvious is that must have some very special parents as well :)

knhamilton87 said...

More on at least ONE of the parents to come. . .

Why You Shouldn’t Visit That New Mom and Her Baby

Close your eyes and think about the last time you visited a brand new mom, either in the hospital or at home.  Did you call first? If you d...