Saturday, September 22, 2007

That fan thing again. . .

Life is full of sayings that are cliches for a reason. . . they are TRUE! Time does "fly" when you're having fun. Kids do grow up fast. It's all true. And how sad is it that we don't know how true those cliches are until it's too late to do anything about it?

Tim and Noah did the Boy Scout thing today and Sara had band practice. I was SO looking forward to having the whole day to myself. Instead, Mary and her new "boo," Ethan (who spent the night in Noah's bottom bunk after having dinner with us last night) were here off and on. I did get a nap but not the kind of quiet-guilt-free-do-nothing day I had been looking forward to.

Thing is, he's a nice kid and he reminds me A LOT of Tim when we were young. Quiet, polite, funny but not obnoxious, plays guitar, sings, parents own a boat and they SKI (although it's mostly tubing now).... scary, huh?

What's most scary is that I see how much she likes him already on her face and I know, no matter how many times I say "have your own life" she won't listen. Because she's young and she doesn't know yet that cliches are true. She doesn't know that, as stupid as I seem, I'll be smart in a couple of years and she'll wish she'd listened. It's not that I don't like Ethan. He's great and, in about 6 or 7 years, he might even be a "keeper." But not now. Not the same stuff I did. I love Tim but we really should have waited. No one should get married right out of college... I can't take it back and, if I'm honest, I'm not sure I would because how many other things would change? But I'd rather see my children (particularly my daughters) do things better, different. Try their wings solo. Same old, same old. I hope it's not too much to hope.

I'll keep watching and whispering as often as possible but, and this is one of those true cliches too, it's SO hard to watch those wings unfold and not be able to guide them anymore. Not really. I guess I'll just have to be here when she lands, hard or soft.

So I'm looking at them, and I'm seeing me and Tim, a picture on top of a picture. . . I hope I can watch a new picture unfold. It would be SO much more entertaining.

No comments:

Why You Shouldn’t Visit That New Mom and Her Baby

Close your eyes and think about the last time you visited a brand new mom, either in the hospital or at home.  Did you call first? If you d...