Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Big Day



So tomorrow we take our baby to college. I'm not sure where the time has gone. We certainly don't have any more money to show for the time that's passed. But we do have a beautiful daughter (we have two but only one is leaving for college). I'm amazed at how fabulous she is. How smart. How normal. She's not addicted to anything and isn't pregnant. She has a good idea of what she wants to "be when she grows up." I'm blown away by her maturity. Yes, she's still a teenage girl and behaves as such most of the time. But she's light years ahead of where I was as a college freshman. I'm not sure she isn't light years ahead of me right now in some respects.

Yes, I love her deeply and no, it's not an unbiased opinion. But a few people agree with me.

And tomorrow she leaves. To quote Dr. Jones, Sr., "just when (she) was getting interesting." I admire her and respect her. I like being around her. I hope she feels the same about me.

I'm excited for her and what she's about to do; the world she's about to discover. But I might not be opening the door to her room for a while and I think we'll all be a bit sad for a few days.

I'm anxious to see what colors the butterfly develops on her wings. . . and I only hope I can see them through my tears.

No comments:

Why You Shouldn’t Visit That New Mom and Her Baby

Close your eyes and think about the last time you visited a brand new mom, either in the hospital or at home.  Did you call first? If you d...